05 April, 2012

Unpopular Opinion Time



I’m going to do something I don’t normally, and give this a preface.  Why?  Because I don’t want my head bit off, and I know that’s what can happen if someone with a strong opinion reads this.  I’m probably going to anyway.  But the preface:

My opinion on contraception is that…I don’t have one.  If you want to use it, that’s fine.  If you don’t, that’s also fine.  I have no need of an opinion on this matter, and don’t foresee one for a good long time.  The issue of contraception is something that should be decided between partners, not in Congress.

That being said, I’m getting fed up with the hullabaloo around the contraception issue.  No, a bunch of old, white men should not have the final say in women’s health.  No, women going to get abortions1 should have to have wands stuck in their privates, just because.  Yes, women who want contraception should have access to it.

Note my last statement, especially the bit about women who want it.  The picture that has been painted of the Catholic Church during this whole thing is unflattering: it’s a huge, mammoth beast who gives no craps about women and their health.  It’s unreasonable and demanding and misogynistic.  It wants what it wants, and it’s not going to take no for an answer.

Okay, again with the backing up.  Yes, the Church wants what it wants, but d’you know what it wants?  It wants its rights as laid out by the First Amendment.  It wants freedom to practice it’s religion peacefully, without other people horning in and telling it what it can and can’t do in relation to faith.

You know something that’s bothered me about this whole shebang?  You people protesting the Church’s protest have lost sight of something important.  You know how what they don’t want to do is to have to provide insurance covering contraception for employees of Catholic organizations?  You know how it makes sense that most people employed by Catholic organizations would be Catholic themselves?  Can you see what I’m getting at?

Chances are, the women whose rights you are defending2 would not use the contraception in the first place.  Because of their beliefs.  Because they are Catholic women, making their own choice to follow their beliefs and not use contraception.  Would you want to take a wad of bills and flush it down the toilet?  Because that is basically what you are asking these companies to do.

Maybe you’re one of those who have been vocal about this, and you’re feeling attacked.  I’m sorry; that was not my intent.  Maybe you never thought about it this way, and need time for contemplation.  Take all the time you need.  Maybe you’re unswayed, and still think that Catholic organizations should provide the insurance.  Okay, you do that.  I just feel like, good as your intentions may be, the women who this would actually affect should be taken into consideration.

*shrugs* Just a thought.

1I’m not getting into this.  I have an opinion, and well-thought-out arguments to defend myself with.  What I don’t have is the energy or patience to deal with the foot-stamping, whining, and childish “No, you’re wrong and I’m right and LALALALA I’M NOT LISTENING” that inevitably, in my experience, comes of this.
2Yes, I see that you’re defending them.  I thank you for the thought, and I’m sure they do, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment